One of my favorite tricks when using less is the ability to switch to a data stream in a log file or any file that might have dynamic content being added
- Typically I open the file in question using less then, review as required.
here you use your standard Vi related navigation tricks.
- Move to the bottom of the file using SHIFT + g
- Switch to data stream mode using SHIFT + f
- Once you want to exit from the data stream use CTRL + c to quit
- Return to navigating around the file using the Vi style commands
- Finally exit the file
- Ask yourself if you will need tail -f much longer…